UpdateI've been furiously busy with home + work-life and losing sleep but I got some updates worth showing. See Part 3 at http://matter-energy-space-time.blogspot.com/2012/11/scratchbuilt-buildings-part-3.html
The status is that I've got four buildings assembled and I need to paint them. I sprayed them down with Krylon H20 Black Primer because I'm using pink styrene for my chimneys and foundations. The Krylon latex primer will not melt the styrene. I still use matte black primer (not H20) for trouble spots because some areas in my constructs don't take well to the latex such as the doors, windows, the ABR plasti-struct spars, and many areas with the glue-gun glue.
Here's the set of pictures thus far; there will be more soon!
|All four buildings and roofs primed with Krylon H20 Black|
|Experimenting with base colors. The technique is to|
brush downwards from the top of the roof.
|The brown roof had a chestnut ink wash stroke|
downwards and then a cream paint dry-brush upwards.
|The slate roof had a blue ink wash stroke downwards|
followed by a light gray paint dry-brush upwards.
|The emerald roof had a base of gray paint|
followed by a green ink wash, and then a
dry-brush using cream.
|One building has a base-coat of cream.|
|One building has a base-coat of white.|
|One building had a base-coat of light-yellow.|
I intentionally left more of the primer appearing
above the boarded-up windows to plan for
the aftermath of a legacy smoke + fire.
|The last building I painted with two different colors.|
|As an added bonus, my daughter's house has|
deep purple and orange (not visible) exterior
paints. I'm teaching her the craft.
That's her voodoo monkey.