Thursday, November 22, 2018

Latest Painted Minis

It has been a really long while since I painted any figures because of the long period I took for constructing the Dunjon of Death terrain tiles.

Here's my latest; I think my painting skills have improved!

Recap

Here's a recap of my escapade to this point. Just scroll down to the minis if you'd like. =)

Brushes

My tools are simple cheap brushes. I actually took a matte-knife to one of the brushes and trimmed it for to create a fine-tipped brush for eyebrows and smaller details.

Old brushes.

New brushes.

Favorite brushes. Alas, the bottom one I eventually threw into the garbage bin.

Ideal solution for painting figurines. These cost $20.00 and are +3.50 diopters.

The Overview

These are various shots of how I grouped the painting efforts into color groups for rapid painting.

Team Red.

Team Blue
   
Starting at the left; Team Gray, Blue, Red, Green. In the back are (at left) mouslings, difficult designs, and then my cult leaders and one-offs.

Overview of my table. That is $1.00 foam-core board that I tape to my dining room table.

The Paint-ups

These are the latest batch from the set of figures I primer-coated over a year ago. My youngest daughter helped with the scene composition, lighting, and shooting each of these.

Hero-Clix repaint.

Black Scorpion?

Dunno.

Yar!

Yar.

Hunting Wabbits.

Avast!

Zipp-id-dee Doo-dah!

Pull!

My "blue" beard. Team Blue.

Amos.

One of the cult leaders to join my red-robed cultists collection. Pulp Action minis.

Hero-Clix repaint. I really like the sculpt on this one.

Hero-Clix repaint. Another sculpt that I like and I wish there was a detailed resin or metal version. I put some effort into the eyes and mouth here.

Reaper Bones. The face had low-detail, but I did my best to practice my face-painting and eyes skill. I like how it turned out.

Hero-Clix repaint. Very nice pose and sculpt.

Reaper Bones. I messed this one really bad; I prime-coated it with outdoor black which was apparently waterproof (and acrylic paint proof). So I sprayed it with varnish finish and painted it again. I gave it a white face-mask to make it look unique.

My Best Piece

I really like this piece! I bought the very-cheap and soft-featured Reaper Bones version, but I think now that I should have picked up the resin or metal version. Many of the details don't show up very well and so I guessed or invented detail via painting various colors. 

I think that there are two other six-armed snake-demon people in the Reaper catalog, and I'll pick them up when I get the chance.

Reaper Bones "Avukavali". This is a beautiful sculpt, but low-detail because of the "bones" material.

This is a wonderful demon for my tabletop games now. I really like it. I painted various details into place from the few hints available from such a soft sculpt. The gold arm-bracers are such an example, as are the rings on various parts of the body and face.

Up Next

I have between 30 to 50 other primed-and-ready figures to paint, mostly in the Pulp! and Superhero genres, with some Sci-fi and Fantasy. I want to get them done before the end of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment