Friday, September 14, 2018

Preparing for Dunjon of Death III-E :: The Tiles - Bulk Finish

VISIT PART III-D

Update

The Tiles are nearly finished. This post shows that I've added a dry-bush medium gray upon the tiles and then I've given it some daubs in brown and lime-green. 

This is what the medium-gray dry-brush effect looks like. I'm painting with the flat of the brush and pulling from the bottom of the tile wall upwards. For this I've been using a 1-inch brush.

Here's a bigger tile with the medium-gray in place.

With a door in place.

With a door in place and some denizens and a murder-hobo.

Daub with Brown 

The brown daubs is to introduce dirt and mud into the sterile gray terrain of the tiles.

For daubing, I've purchased some "loofa" sponges. They are too big, and so I need to rip them to a smaller size. The colors I want to use are browns and greens.

I use a paper-towel to press the sponge into and evenly distribute the paint. BTW, you will need to rinse and squeeze the sponges with water before using them; this helps the pigments keep moist and lay with little effort.

Trial run with the dark brown.

Trial run with the dark brown and then the medium brown above that. Not too bad. The intent is to show dirt upon the tiles. 

Here's a couple of tiles finished. I got a bit more brave with the application of colors after a bit of time.

The shape of the sponge and the pore sizes is very important. The larger sponges are difficult to use within the narrow confines of many halls and rooms within the tiles.

Here's one of the "decrepit" rooms with the daubs of brownish color. Looks a bit more lively and a lot less gray.

Some tiles together with a door way.

Here's one of the tiles completed with the brown daubs. Miniature for contrast.

Daub with Greeen

The lime-green daubs are to indicate moisture through the presence of lichen, mold, or moss.

Everywhere on all of the tiles, I used the lime-green and liberally daubed it upon the bases of various walls and corners. I'm imagining that these are lichen or fungus of some sort.

Here's one of the rooms all ready. Kill the Enchantress!

Another angle of the room.

What's Next?

I think the tiles are good enough for now.  I want to start labeling the tiles to match up with the Dunjon of Death tile cards so that I can try out the rules and optimize them.
  1. I think I'll eventually sprinkle some flocking in many places later for moss or grass.
  2. I will want to start adding dunjon terrain; treasure chests, torches, pillars, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment